Business Tax Credits

Business Tax Credits

Your general business credit for the year consists of what business credits you have carried forward from prior years plus the total of your current year business credits.  In addition, your general business credit for the current year may be increased later by carrying back business credits from later years. You subtract this credit directly from your tax.

The following are part of the general business credit, except the electric vehicle credit:

Form 3800 (General Business Credit)

Form 3468 (Investment Credit) (comprising Rehabilitation, Energy, and Reforestation credits)

Form 5735 (American Samoa Economic Development Credit)

Form 5884 (Work Opportunity Credit)

Form 6478 (Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel)

Form 6765 (Credit for Increasing Research Activities)

Form 8586 (Low-Income Housing Credit)

Form 8611 (Recapture of Low-Income Housing Credit)

Form 8820 (Orphan Drug Credit)

Form 8826 (Disabled Access Credit)

Form 8834 (Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit)

Form 8835 (Renewable Electricity Production Credit)

Form 8844 (Empowerment Zone Employment Credit)

Form 8845 (Indian Employment Credit)

Form 8846 (Credit for Employer Social Security and Medicare Taxes Paid on Certain Employee Tips)

Form 8847 (Credit for Contributions to Selected Community Development Corporations)

Form 8864 (Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit)

Form 8874 (New Markets Credit)

Form 8881 (Credit for Small Employer Pension Plan Startup Costs)

Form 8882 (Credit for Employer-Provided Childcare Facilities and Services)

Form 8896 (Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Production Credit)

Form 8900 (Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit)

Form 8906 (Distilled Spirits Credit)

Form 8907 (Nonconventional Source Fuel Credit)

Form 8908 (Energy Efficient Home Credit)

Form 8910 (Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit)

Form 8911 (Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit)

Form 8923 (Mine Rescue Team Training Credit)

To claim a general business credit you have to fill out the applicable forms. In addition to the specific credit form, in most cases you will also need to file Form 3800 (General Business Credit).

Additional information can be found at in Publication 334 (Tax Guide for Small Business), and by searching for the form specific to the applicable credit

<<The Client that Didn’t Pay Self-Employment (SE) Tax>>